Getting Help

For an emergency, call 9-1-1


Dangerous work concerns:

  1. Use your Right to Refuse Dangerous Work
  2. Contact Alberta Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) Contact Centre
Mental Health support:

If you need help right now, Canadian Mental Health Association suggests using these telephone resources in Alberta:

  • If suicide is a possibility, call 911
  • Alberta Mental Health Help Line: 1 (877) 303-2642
  • Alberta Addictions Helpline 1 (866) 332-2322
  • Distress Line (Edmonton and area): (780) 482-4357
  • Distress Centre (Calgary and area): (403) 266-4357
  • Distress Line of South Western Alberta: (403) 327-7905
  • First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Help Line 1 (855) 242-3310
  • Kids Help Phone 1 (800) 668-6868
  • Rural Distress Line: 1 (800) 232-7288
  • 211 is here to help you find the right community and social services.You can dial 2-1-1 to speak to an Information & Referral Specialist, or search the online community resource directory, or chat online with them from 12-8pm MT daily.


Injured at work:
  1. Tell your employer or supervisor
  2. Tell First Aid and your health care provider
  3. Tell the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB)

If you have concerns about your WCB claim, you can access the newly established Advisor Office for Alberta Workers Compensation. Their Worker Advisors provide support and advice to injured workers who need help with reviews and appeals related to a WCB claim. There is no charge for their services. Toll-free phone number: 1-866-427-0115; Email:

Termination, vacation pay, overtime, etc.:

Employment Standards is the government department responsible for administering and enforcing minimum standards at work such as minimum wage, hours of work, overtime, vacation pay, termination, youth employment, and certain job-protected leaves. They can answer questions and you can also contact them to file a complaint if you are not being treated in accordance with these standards.

Call the province-wide toll-free number at 1-877-427-3731 or through their online form.

Harassment and Discrimination at work:

The Alberta Human Rights Commission is the agency responsible for hearing and investigating complaints of discrimination based on the protected grounds of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender expression and identity, age, physical disability, mental disability, marital status, family status, source of income and sexual orientation. Find out more about the protected grounds here.

If you have concerns about your human rights in the workplace, or wish to file a complaint, you can contact the Commission or call their confidential inquiry line in Edmonton at 780-427-7661 or toll free by following the directions on their contact page.

Harassment is also a health and safety hazard under Alberta’s Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, including harassment that is not considered a “protected ground” under Human Rights laws. Your employer is required to have prevention policies and programs in place to protect workers. You can contact the OHS Contact Centre for more information.


Other sources of support:

There are non-profit organizations in Edmonton and Calgary that specialize in providing you with free help regarding your workplace concerns.

The Edmonton Community Legal Centre offers free legal information, advice and representation for people living with low income in the Edmonton area. You can contact them at 780-702-1725.

The Workers’ Resource Centre assists workers with filling out forms, attending meetings/hearings, and talking with employers and government agencies in order to help them access their employment related benefits and rights. You can contact them at 403-264-8100.

Calgary Legal Guidance provides free legal advice for individuals with low income in the Calgary area. You can contact them at 403-264-8100.

Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services is an Alberta website if you need help for yourself or someone you know who is being sexually harassed or assaulted in or outside of the workplace.

If you belong to a union, your Union Representative (often called your Union Steward or Shop Steward) may have information and resources to help you.

The Alberta Federation of Labour is the umbrella body for most unions in the province and can provide you with information on how unions make workplaces safer and other benefits of belonging to a union. You can contact them toll-free at 1-800-661-3995.

The Alberta Labour Relations Board is the provincial body that makes and enforces rules in unionized workplaces about union-management relations.